HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A
HUD   >   FAQs   >   Relocation, Foreclosure and Eviction
Relocation, Foreclosure and Eviction

Question 1: The government is talking about buying my home/business, forcing me to relocate. What can I do?

Answer: You do have rights when a public agency acquires, rehabilitates, or demolishes your property, whether it's a private home, business, farm, or nonprofit organization. We have information about the process, how the amount of the offer to you will be determined, and what you can do if you don't want to accept the offer. Read about relocation assistance.

Question 2: I haven't been able to make my mortgage payments, and I'm about to lose my home. Can HUD help me?

Answer: Contact one of the HUD-approved housing counseling agencies near you. Or you can call the Housing Counseling Hotline at (800) 569-4287. Also, read our tips on avoiding foreclosure.

Question 3: I've received an eviction notice. What can I do?

Answer: You should contact a local legal assistance provider for advice. You should be able to find legal resources in your local phone directory. Also, you may want to check our links to local tenant rights, laws, and protections in your state.

More information about the foreclosure.

Open Government Initiative

Learn more about HUD's Open Government Initiative

HUD Implementation of the Recovery Act

Learn more about HUD's Implementation of the Recovery Act

Making Home Affordable

[Logo: Making Home Affordable]

Learn more about Making Home Affordable
Innovation of the Day

[Logo: of the day]
Innovation of the Day