In addition to being required by law, relocation advisory services are the single most important part of a successful relocation program. Relocation advisory services are required to be provided to all eligible displaced persons including nonresidential displaced persons.
What are some key relocation advisory services requirements?
- Determine the needs and preferences of displaced persons
- Explain available relocation assistance
- Explain a person's right to appeal if they are not satisfied with agency decisions
- Offer and provide transportation to locate replacement housing
- Offer other assistance (e.g. social services or financial referrals, housing inspection, etc.)
- Provide current and ongoing listings of comparable dwellings for residential displacements and replacement sites for businesses
- Supply information on other federal and state programs offering assistance
- Provide counseling and other assistance to minimize hardship in adjusting to relocation
- And other required and appropriate assistance
Where can you go to find more information about relocation advisory services?
You should consult 49 CFR 24.205 and Chapter 2 of HUD Handbook 1378 for more guidance.