Requesting a Refund
A refund of an upfront mortgage insurance premium (MIP) payment can be requested through HUD's Single Family Insurance Operations Division (SFIOD) using either of these methods:
- On the FHA Connection, go to the Upfront Premium Collection menu and select Request a Refund in the Pay Upfront Premium section. The Upfront Refund Request page appears for entering refund information. When the refund request is successfully processed, an e-mail message confirming receipt of the request by SFIOD is sent to the user that requested the refund. The e-mail address on record for the user on the FHA Connection is used. (The lender's FHA Connection Application Coordinator can update the user's e-mail address, if necessary.)
- Send an email to LendersRefunds@hud.gov and include the following in your request:
||Name and ID of lender (enter ID in subject field)|
||Upfront refund (specify in subject field)|
||FHA case number|
||Refund amount for the case|
||Date payment was remitted|
||Reason for refund request|
||Mortgagee contact name including telephone number and fax number (optional)|
Upon request, you must submit documentation needed to support the refund.
Note: If the case number was incorrect (or invalid) and it is the first payment remitted for the case, Case Corrections on the FHA Connection can be used to correct the case number instead of processing a refund (see Correcting Case Information Submitted with a Payment). Also, an overpayment or a payment submitted for a wrong or invalid case may be reallocated to another case in the lender's portfolio (see Reallocating or Reapportioning a Payment).
A refund is automatically sent to the remitting lender in the following circumstances:
- Any overpayment amount is refunded approximately two weeks after a case is endorsed for FHA insurance.
- A payment made for an invalid case number is refunded within 14 days (unless the lender corrects the case number beforehand or the payment is reallocated).
- If, after 18 months, the case has not been endorsed for FHA insurance, it is canceled. Any upfront MIP remitted for the case is refunded approximately three weeks after the case is canceled.
Mailing Address for Refunds
A refund check is sent to the Endorsement address HUD has on record for the lender. The Endorsement address can be viewed and corrected through HUD's Lender Electronic Assessment Portal (LEAP), which is accessed from the FHA Connection's Lender Functions menu.
Getting Information on Refunds
Use the following options on the FHA Connection's Upfront Premium Collection menu to get information on refunds.