HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A
HUD   >   Program Offices   >   Housing   >   RMRA   >   RESPA   >   HUD PMI Act Information
PMI Act Information

On July 29, 1999, the new Homeowner's Protection Act of 1998, also known as the PMI Act, regarding the cancellation of PMI takes effect. Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) is required by lenders when a loan is originated and closed without a 20 percent down payment. This insurance protects the lender from default losses in the event a loan becomes delinquent. The PMI Act will enable homeowners with new loans originated after July 29, 1999 and who meet specified requirements to have their PMI canceled. If your loan was issued before July 29, 1999, CONTACT YOUR MORTGAGE LENDER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON CANCELLATION OF PMI.

The law provides 2 situations in which borrower paid PMI may be cancel - it can be automatic or by request. Lender-paid PMI is excluded from these mandates, but requires an up front disclosure to the borrower about lender-paid PMI.

The 2 cancellation situations are:

  • Automatic. In general, when the homeowner's equity position reaches 22 percent of the original value of the property, the mortgage servicer must automatically cancel the PMI. The borrower must be current in making payments for automatic cancellation to apply.

Different requirements exist for "high risk mortgage loans, as defined by government-sponsored entities (i.e. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac). CONTACT YOUR MORTGAGE LENDER IF YOU FIT THIS CATEGORY.

  • By Request. Homeowners can request cancellation of the PMI when their equity position reaches 20 percent of the original value of the property, if they meet certain criteria. CONTACT YOUR MORTGAGE LENDER FOR ITS CRITERIA LIST.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: HUD's Office of Regulatory Affairs and Manufactured Housing, has no enforcement authority pertaining to the new PMI Act. Inquiries should be presented to your lender using the Qualified Written Request format. Under Section 6 of RESPA, lenders must acknowledge the complaint within 20 business days and must resolve the complaint within 60 business days by correcting the account or giving a statement of the reasons for its position.

To complain about a lender who does not comply with the PMI Act, please contact the appropriate federal regulator.


Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
Compliance and Consumer Affairs Division
550 17th Street., NW
Washington, DC 20429
Toll free: (877) 275-3342
FDIC handles questions about deposit insurance coverage and complaints about FDIC-insured state banks which are not members of the Federal Reserve System.
Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS)
Division of Consumer and Civil Rights
1700 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20552
Toll free: (800) 842-6929
OTS handles complaints about
Federal savings and loans and
Federal savings banks.
National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3428
(703) 518-6330
The NCUA Shared Insurance Fund provides Federal insurance for nearly 13,000 credit unions.
Farm Credit Administration (FCA)
Office of Congressional and Public Affairs
Farm Credit Administration
1501 Farm Credit Drive
McLean, VA 22102-5090
(703) 883-4100 
FCA regulates banks, associations, and related entities that comprise the Farm Credit System, including the Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation (Farmer Mac)
Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)
Compliance Management
250 E. Street, SW
Mail Stop 309
Washington, DC 20219
Toll free: (800) 613-6743
OCC handles complaints and
regulates National Banks. (Usually have "National" in name or "N.A." after their names.) 
The Federal Reserve Board
Division of Consumer and Community Affairs
20th and C Streets, NW
Mail Stop 801
Washington, DC 20551
(202) 452-3693
Handles complaints and regulates
state-chartered banks and trusts.
Administers Truth-in-Lending, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, and Fair Credit Reporting Act.