“On a single night in January 2012, there were more than 630,000 sheltered and unsheltered people experiencing homelessness nationwide.” “—Secretary’s letter to PHAs, August 2013”
The Office of Public and Indian Housing (PIH) is committed to working with our PHA partners to expand opportunities for individuals and families to access quality affordable rental homes, thereby achieving HUD’s goal of utilizing housing as a platform for improving quality of life.
PIH and CPD Partner to End and Prevent Homelessness
The Department recognizes the importance of ending and preventing homelessness. This is why the Office of Public and Indian Housing (PIH) and the Office of Community Planning and Development (CPD) have teamed up to develop cross-cutting, cross-programmatic tools and resources to encourage and support our local public housing authorities (PHAs) and continuums of care (CoCs) in developing effective partnerships in order to effectively and efficiently leverage their local resources to better understand and engage their homeless populations at the community level.
Together, PIH and CPD have developed webinars to help facilitate conversations between PHAs and CoCs to come up with creative and effective ways to leverage their resources to increase opportunities for individuals and families to access mainstream resources such as supportive services, as well as federally funded or locally funded subsidized housing and rental assistance programs.
Presentations and Webinars
- (NEW) Trenessa Sidney, of HUD’s Office of Housing Voucher Programs was invited to present at the Texas Homeless Network’s 2014 Housing Summit, held in Austin, TX, on May 21-22. The conference served has an opportunity for homeless service providers, educators, community leaders, and government officials to network and gain information on how to better serve the homeless population within their community. On behalf of HUD, and alongside several esteemed industry colleagues, Ms. Sidney presented relevant guidance and information on the summit’s panel titled “The role of PHAs to structure subsidies to reach people at the greatest risk of homelessness.” To view Ms. Sidney’s presentation, and that of each panellist, please click on the links below.
- Study of PHA's Efforts to Serve the Homeless (YouTube Video) - Presentation of the findings from the HUD-commissioned Study on PHA Efforts to Serve People Experiencing Homelessness in the Housing Choice Voucher and public housing programs.
- Ending Homelessness through the Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing Programs - Staff from PIH present information related to the Notice.
- PHA 101: A Guide for CoC’s Understanding PHA Programs and Policies - Staff from PIH give an overview of the basics about PHAs and the programs administered by HUD’s PIH.
- CoC 101: A Guide for PHA’s Understanding of CoC Functions and Partnerships - Staff from CPD and the Corporation for Supportive Housing (CSH) present information on the functions of CoCs and opportunities for partnerships.
- Implementing a Move-Up Strategy - Staff from PIH and CPD provide an overview of the basics about how to implement a move-up strategy as a joint effort between PHAs and CoCs.