HUD is currently conducting an Assessment of American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian Housing Needs in response to a Congressional mandate for a study of the housing needs of Native Americans. The Secretary of HUD also has made research about the housing needs of Native Americans a priority. The study shall fully assess the housing needs of American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians. Additionally, summary information about overall population characteristics, geographic locations, and economic conditions of the population will be analyzed.
The major elements of the study include:
- A literature review of existing studies and reports about American Indians, so that the history of social, economic, and housing policies and programs affecting AIAN persons can be fully understood.
- Consultations with experts on American Indian communities. An expert panel will be assembled and include scholars and Indian representatives who will provide guidance on the research design and check information on culture and history and help interpret findings.
- Additional interviews with housing experts and national and regional officials responsible for program implementation to gain insights on policy trends and options as well as program organization, interrelationships, and performance.
- Field interviews with TDHE officials, tribal leaders, and staff at a representative sample of reservations and other tribal areas. Extensive in-person interviews about local institutional arrangements and procedures, housing problems, program activity, and experience with and attitudes about federal programs.
- Field interviews with a sample of households in tribal areas, and observations of their housing conditions, to obtain direct information on housing problems, housing tenure, location preferences, and reactions to government housing programs.
- Telephone interviews with officials of TDHEs nationally, to obtain comprehensive information on institutional characteristics, program activity, and performance.
- Interviews and case studies about Indian communities in urban areas to identify housing conditions, needs, and prospects.
- A small study of lenders in the sample sites.
For more additional information on the study, please go here: http://www.huduser.org/portal/native_american/home.html