What Is the PHA Plan?
The PHA Plan is a comprehensive guide to public housing agency (PHA) policies, programs, operations, and strategies for meeting local housing needs and goals. There are two parts to the PHA Plan: the 5-Year Plan, which each PHA reviews and updates once every 5th PHA fiscal year, and the Annual Plan, which is prepared by the PHA every year. PHAs submit to HUD a PHA Plan Template, which includes specific plan elements but also information on where certain plan elements that are not required to be reviewed by HUD can be obtained locally. PHAs use the same PHA Plan Template for the 5-Year and Annual Plan. The entire PHA Plan (including all elements, not just those submitted to HUD) must be made available locally, typically at the main office of the PHA or on the PHA website.
New and revised forms are available (Updated Feb. 23, 2009)
Please see the certification page for more information and to download the forms 50077 CR and 50077 SL.Important Notice
HUD has determined that use of the new template will be optional for PHAs with FYB 4/1/2009. This decision acknowledges that many PHAs were well into its 2009 planning process when Notice 2008-41 was issued.
New templates available (Updated Nov. 2008)
To streamline the PHA Plan process, HUD redesigned the PHA Plan Template, form HUD-50075. As part of this redesigned template, PHAs no longer need to submit certain statutory plan requirements, e.g., Community Service Plan or Grievance Policy. However, PHAs are still required to make all required elements available locally. Please refer to the directions contained with the form for specific guidance. There is only one PHA Plan Template. Previously, different templates were developed for different types of PHAs - small, Section 8 only, High Performer, etc. Now, all PHAs use the same, streamlined template. The template is found below in four different file formats, including Microsoft Word version 6.0, WordPerfect and the Rich Text Format. The PDF template is available for users to download and print the template plans only. PHAs should not make edits to the PDF files electronically.
There is one template which all PHAs are required to use. Based on the type of PHA (small, Section 8 only, High Performer), all or some parts of the template will be completed. The template is found below in four different file formats, including Microsoft Word version 6.0, WordPerfect and the Rich Text Format. The PDF template is available for users to download and print the template plans only. PHAs should not make edits to the PDF files electronically.
When Are the Next Five-Year PHA Plans (Standard or Streamlined) due?
- The first 5-Year/Annual PHA Plans were submitted by PHAs in 1999 for their FY2000 year.
- The 5-Year Plan covered the five-year period from a PHA's FY2000 to FY2004.
- The next 5-Year Plan is due 75 days prior to the PHA's 2010 FY.
Available Template Formats
Select your template from the following files.
- Five-Year and Annual Plan Template (HUD-50075)
The PHA Plan Template 50075 should be submitted by all PHAs (Standard, Small, High Performing, Section 8 only). Refer to instructions on how to complete the form.
- Annual Statement/Performance and Evaluation Report for Capital Fund, Capital Fund Program Replacement Housing Factor, Capital Fund Financing Program ( HUD-50075.1)
The PHA Plan template 50075.1 should be submitted by all PHAs with Capital Funds, CF Replacement Housing Factor, Capital Fund Financing Program (CFFP).
- Capital Fund Program Five-Year Action Plan (HUD-50075.2)
The PHA Plan template 50075.2 should be submitted by all PHAs with Capital Funds, CF Replacement Housing Factor, Capital Fund Financing Program (CFFP).
- PHA Plan Template ( HUD-50075), Annual Statement/Performance and Evaluation Report (HUD-50075.1), Capital Fund Program Five-Year Action Plan (HUD-50075.2) Exp. Aug. 31, 2011 Exp. Aug 31, 2011 Exp. Aug 31, 2011.
Guidance in Completing the Templates
PHA Plan Desk Guide
Section 3 of the PHA Plan Desk Guide contains detailed information on the following Plan components:
- Housing needs
- Statement of financial resources
- PHA policies governing eligibility, selection, and admissions
- Rent determination policies
- Operating and management
- PHA grievance procedures
- Capital improvement needs
- Demolition and disposition
- Designation of public housing
- Conversion of public housing
- Community service and self-sufficiency
- PHA safety and crime prevention
- Pet policy
- Civil rights certifications
- Fiscal audit
- PHA asset management
- Other information
- Fund tables
- Supporting documentation
- Five-year plan