HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A
HUD   >   Program Offices   >   Public and Indian Housing   >   PIH   >   Office of Housing Choice Vouchers   >   HCV Family Self-Sufficiency
Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program


In FY14, Congress combined funding for the Public Housing FSS (PH FSS) and Housing Choice Voucher FSS (HCV FSS) programs into one program serving both populations. The Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program enables families assisted through the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, Public Housing (PH) residents, and residents of Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act-assisted housing to increase their earned income and reduce their dependency on welfare assistance and rental subsidies. Under the FSS program, low-income families are provided opportunities for education, job training, counseling and other forms of social service assistance, while living in assisted housing, so they can obtain skills necessary to achieve self-sufficiency.

The FSS program is administered by Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) with the help of Program Coordinating Committees (PCCs). The PCC usually consists of representatives of local government, employment and job training agencies, welfare agencies, nonprofit providers, local businesses, and assisted families.

Services for FSS program participants are provided through local partnerships with employers and service providers in the community.  Services are not funded by HUD.  HUD funding is provided for the salary of FSS coordinators, and is awarded through annual Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs). 

Public Housing residents and HCV participants who are interested in participating in the FSS program may contact a PHA in their area that administers an FSS program.  Please note that not all PHAs administer the FSS program.    A list of PHAs that have received FSS funding from HUD between 2008 and 2012 is available below.

FSS Fact Sheet: provides general FSS program information.

FSS PHAs and Tribes: provides a list of PHAs and Tribes that have received FSS funding from HUD between 2008 and 2012.  Please note that FSS funding for tribes is only applicable to the PH FSS program. 

PHA Contact Information: for contact information of all PHAs by State, not only PHAs that administer an FSS program, click here.

Funding for FSS Program Coordinator Salaries (NEW): each year, once Congress appropriates funding for the FSS program, HUD makes that funding available through a competitive process under a NOFA.  Funding is specifically for PHAs and Tribes that administer an FSS program to pay for the salaries of an FSS program coordinator(s); not for the payment of services.  Additionally, individuals are not eligible to apply for funding through a NOFA.  Instead, Public Housing residents and HCV participants that are interested in participating in FSS may contact a PHA in their area that administers an FSS program. 

Below are links to FSS NOFAs, webcasts and related information for FY 2015, and archived FSS NOFAs from prior years.

Related Notices, Regulations, and Other Information

Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program Listserv
If you are a public housing agency (PHA) administering the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program, we recommend that you subscribe to our listserv. This listserv is for FSS program coordinators and any pertinent PHA staff. Subscribers will automatically receive email notifications of important program news and updates. This is a free service.

Other Resources

Archived Welfare-to-Work (WtW) Resources

  • Resources
    • While the Welfare-to-Work Program and Welfare-to-Work Vouchers no longer exist, the archived resources may still be of use when managing a FSS program.  Resources are provided in the following areas: employment and training programs, family outreach, funding resources, monitoring and evaluation, partnership development, and supportive services.
  • Promising Program Practices
  • FAQs