Office of Capital Improvements
The PIH Office of Capital Improvements administers the Capital Fund. The Capital Fund provides funds, annually, to Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) for the development, financing, and modernization of public housing developments and for management improvements. The funds may not be used for luxury improvements, direct social services, cost funded by other HUD programs, and ineligible activities as determined by HUD on a case-by-case basis. Learn more about us ...
- (REVISED) 2015 Capital Fund Processing Information: The 2015 Capital Fund ACC Amendments are now available here. Please note that the process for retrieving ACCs is the same as it was in 2014.
- (NEW) PHAS High Performer list for Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2015 Capital Fund Calculation: The Department is making preparations for calculating the Capital Fund formula for FFY 2015. As a part of the calculation, the Department is using the FFY 2013 PHAS designations to determine which PHAs will receive the high performer bonus for the 2015 formula calculation. PHAs are responsible for validating whether they are on the High Performer list that will be the basis for the formula calculation by reviewing the linked Capital Fund Calculation spreadsheet (MS-Excel). The spreadsheet lists PHAs that are designated as high performers. Also included in the spreadsheet are - the Housing Authority Code, the Housing Authority Name, the Component Scores, and the Fiscal Year End that corresponds to the high performer ranking.*
If a PHA believes there is an error in the calculation of their PHAS score for FFY 2013, it must send an e-mail explaining the error to the Real Estate Assessment Center (REAC) at PHAS@hud.gov no later than Friday, 10/31/ 2014. Without exception, If the PHA does not contact REAC by 10/31/2014, the Office of Capital Improvements will use the High Performers in the published list in the FFY 2015 Capital Fund formula.
*FFY 2013 corresponds to the following fiscal year end quarters: 12/31/2012, 3/31/2013, 6/30/2013 and 9/30/2013.
- (NEW) Capital Fund Certification Schedule for 2015: The Capital Fund "reporting date" for this round of certifications is 6/30/2014. The Certification deadline will be August 15, 2014. For further information, please refer to the Step-by-Step User Guide (MS-Word).
Reporting Date: 6/30/2014
Certification Open: 7/1/2014
Certification Deadline: 8/15/2014
- (NEW) Public Housing Capital Fund Program Final Rule Publication
The Public Housing Capital Fund Program Final Rule was published in the Federal Register October 24, 2013 (Docket No. 5236-F-02) and will be effective on November 25, 2013. This new regulation combines the Capital Fund requirements for modernization and development into a single regulation. It also updates and streamlines many of the Capital Fund and development requirements, incorporates recent energy requirements, and directs more funding towards modernization. This rule along with a new Capital Fund guidebook, which is under development and expected to be available in the Spring, will ensure that the Capital Fund Program is more efficiently and uniformly implemented by PHAs and managed more effectively by the HUD Field Offices.
A copy of the published rule can be found here.
- “Faircloth Limit” Unit Counts - Section 9(g) (3) of the United States Housing Act of 1937("Faircloth Amendment") limits the construction of new public housing units. The Faircloth Amendment states that the Department cannot fund the construction or operation of new public housing units with Capital or Operating Funds if the construction of those units would result in a net increase in the number of units the PHA owned, assisted or operated as of October 1, 1999. This requirement is referred to as the “Faircloth Limit.” PHAs should review the linked National List of Maximum Number of Units Eligible for Capital Funding and Operating Subsidy by PHA (PDF). If you do not believe that the number of units listed for your PHA is correct, please send an email to PIH_OCI @hud.gov with “Faircloth Limit Correction for…” and your PHA code in the subject line.
- Reporting Requirement to Collect Energy Efficiency Measures
- Capital Fund Program Awards Notice PIH 2011-24 (HA): This notice, issued on May 10, 2011,provides public housing agencies (PHAs) and HUD Field Office staff with an overview of the Capital Fund Program awards process including the Capital Fund Program formula grant and, where applicable, the Replacement Housing Factor (RHF) grants. It provides a description of the process for retrieving and submitting the Capital Fund Annual Contributions Contract(ACC) Amendments as well as other program requirements and procedures related to grant award.
- Education and Training Community Facilities
- Read a successful 2010 CFCF application
- Emergency Safety and Security Funding FAQ as of 7/26/2010