The Tacoma Housing Authority (THA) joined the MTW
demonstration in August of 2010. THA serves the city of Tacoma,
Washington State's third largest city, and seeks to provide their
communities' neediest persons and families with high quality housing
and supportive services. THA plans to use their MTW authority to
further strengthen their mission and strategic direction. Specifically,
their goals are to:
- Increase administrative efficiency;
- Encourage economic self-sufficiency among their residents;
- Increase housing options for low-income households residing
in their jurisdiction.
Some possible initiatives that THA may attempt to use their MTW
authority to implement in the future include:
- Crafting housing solutions to encourage consistent enrollment
for children at an area elementary school;
- Extending allowable tenant absence from unit for active duty
- Creating a local project-based voucher program;
- Employing triennial re-certifications for fixed-income households;
- Modifying the Housing Choice Voucher inspection process;
- Utilizing local verification policies for Housing Choice
Vouchers and public housing.
THA also plans to monitor their MTW program effectiveness carefully
in order to measure performance and adapt initiatives to optimally
meet the needs of their community.
THA currently administers approximately 900 public housing units
and 3,500 Housing Choice Voucher units.
THA was selected as an MTW agency through a competition
held in 2009 as a part of HUD's 2009 budget appropriation (Section
236, title II, division I) and signed the standard agreement on
August 23, 2010. THA's MTW participation will run through its 2018
MTW Activities and Information