HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A
HUD   >   Program Offices   >   Public and Indian Housing   >   PIH   >   Public Housing   >   Rental Housing Integrity Improvement Project (RHIIP)   >   Up-Front Income Verification (UIV) Tools
Upfront Income Verification (UIV) Tools

There are various resources that PHAs can use to verify income. Resources may vary from state to state, and can include:

EIV System: A HUD-provided Internet-based wage and benefit tool that allows PHAs to validate the accuracy of tenant-reported income from an independent source that systematically and uniformly maintains income information in computerized form for a large number of individuals.

The Work Number: An automated service that provides controlled access to a national database of almost 40 million employment and income records, The Work Number can provide quick and accurate employment and wage information.

Advanced HR Solutions: An automated employment and wage verification program for companies and their employees. Verification requests of employment or wage information from banks, credit card companies, and government agencies can be handled quickly and confidentially through this automated system.

Experian: Electronically links and gathers data from various sources to deliver consistent, accurate, real-time view of customer data. Experian maintains and manages customer information, from names and addresses to vehicle numbers and credit information. Its extensive data resources provide better insight into how a customer behaves.

Social Security Administration (SSA) Form 7004: This SSA form may be used by a PHA to request a tenant's Social Security Earnings Statement. The statement provides a record of the tenant's Social Security earnings history, year-by-year and provides an estimate of benefit payments that the tenant and the tenant's family may qualify for now or in the future. See SSA's Information About Your Social Security Statement for more information.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 4506-T: This IRS form may be used by a PHA to request a tenant's tax return transcript. The transcript shows most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. Tax return transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years. If a statement of the tenant's tax account, which shows changes that the tenant or IRS made after the original return was filed, you must request a "Tax Account Transcript." This transcript shows basic data including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income, taxable income, payments and adjustments made on the tenant's account. There is no charge for the transcripts and should be received within 10 business days from the time the IRS receives the request. See IRS Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 4506: This IRS form may be used by a PHA to request a tenant's exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return and all attachments (including Forms W-2). Copies are generally available for 7 years from the filing date. There is a $57 fee for each tax year requested. See IRS Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Note: This list is not all-inclusive. There are many vendors that offer income and employment verification services. PHAs should confirm with the vendor, the source from which income and employment information is delivered.