HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A
HUD   >   I Want To   >   File a Fair Housing Discrimination Complaint

Housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability is illegal by federal law. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint.

There are several ways to file a complaint:

 - You can file a complaint right now, by using our online form.
(It is recommeded that all pop-up blockers be turned off in order to access this form. Otherwise, press the "Ctrl" button as you click on the link.)
 - You can call toll-free 1 (800) 669-9777.
 - You can print out a form, complete it, and drop it or mail it to:
Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Room 5204
451 Seventh St. SW
Washington, DC 20410-2000

 - You can write us a letter with:
 - Your name and address
 - The name and address of the person your complaint is about
 - The address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy
 - The date when this incident occurred
 - A short description of what happened
 - Then mail it to the Fair Housing Hub closest to you:
 - Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont
 - New Jersey and New York
 - Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia
 - Alabama, the Caribbean, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee
 - Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin
 - Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas
 - Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska
 - Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming
 - Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada
 - Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington