HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A
HUD   >   I Want To   >   Find Rental Assistance

Learn more about renting and HUD rental assistance programs.

Need Help?

 - Privately owned subsidized housing - HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.
 - Public Housing - affordable apartments for low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency.
 - Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) - find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency.

Local Renting Information

 - Rental help in your state - find affordable rentals and special needs housing, get help with your utility bills, and more

Need Advice?

 - Contact a housing counseling agency or call toll-free (800) 569-4287.

Your Rights and Responsibilities

 - Fair housing
 - Tenant rights, laws and protections in your state
 - Rights of tenants displaced from government-funded projects
 - Security deposits

More About Renting

 - Ten tips every tenant should know
 - Buying vs. renting
 - Renters insurance