HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A

Nonresidential Relocation

Businesses, farms, and nonprofit organizations

Nonresidential relocation can be extremely complex and expensive. Agencies should be cautious when conducting nonresidential displacements under the URA. It is recommended for agencies to seek guidance and assistance from knowledgeable persons with this expertise early in the process.

In addition to relocation advisory services, nonresidential displaced persons may be eligible for other relocation assistance including relocation payments for moving expenses and reestablishment.

What types of moving options are available to nonresidential displaced persons?

The URA provides the following moving options:

  • Payment for the actual, reasonable moving costs and related expenses, and
  • Payment for actual, reasonable reestablishment expenses or a fixed payment "in lieu of" moving and reestablishment costs

Where can you go to find more information about these business relocation requirements?

You should consult 49 CFR 24.301, 24.303-.305 and Chapter 4 of HUD Handbook 1378 for more guidance.