FHA's pre-recorded webinar training and information offers FHA-approved mortgagees and other stakeholders in FHA transactions the ability to learn about FHA policies, programs, and technology at their own pace.
- Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Financial Assessment Update (Recorded on 9/22/16): This pre-recorded webinar is an update to the presentation on the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Financial Assessment that was broadcast on September 23, 2015. The content of the presentation has been revised to provide information on the HECM Financial Assessment based on requirements issued with Mortgagee Letter 2016-10. While mortgagees have put considerable effort into operationalizing the new policy, FHA is committed to providing continued support through additional training on the key policy components in response to feedback and questions received from stakeholders. Learn more about the Financial Assessment; steps that can be taken to minimize operational errors; and, information on the latest policy components to ensure ongoing success. This webinar is targeted primarily to mortgagees with detailed knowledge of FHA’s HECM program origination and underwriting policies and requirements although open to all stakeholders. Webinar Duration: 59 minutes. Course Materials. To view the archived webinar, please register here.
- Navigating the FHA Condominium Project Approval Process (Recorded on 9/21/16): This pre-recorded webinar provides information on FHA’s condominium project approval requirements for industry stakeholders and other interested parties. The webinar provides information on: obtaining condominium project approval and recertification; documentation requirements; processing requirements; processing options; reference information; and, other associated topics.Webinar Duration: 96 minutes. Course Materials. To view the archived webinar, please register here.
- FHA Appraisal Essentials - An In-Depth Look Recorded on (9/14/16): This pre-recorded webinar provides an in-depth look at a variety of property appraisal topics such as: property acceptability criteria; minimum property requirements; property defects; appraiser responsibilities and requirements; and, much more. The webinar is targeted primarily to FHA Roster Appraisers, Underwriters, Processers, and other appropriate Mortgagee staff involved with the appraisal review and loan approval process. Webinar Duration: 115 minutes. Course Materials. To view the archived webinar, please register here.
Single Family Housing Policy Handbook 4000.1
The series of self-paced, pre-recorded training webinars listed below provides a detailed, end-to-end review of the policies contained in the Single Family Housing Policy Handbook 4000.1 (SF Handbook) Sections II.A and II.D, Origination Through Post-Closing/Endorsement (Origination through Endorsement) for FHA Title II forward mortgages.
Use of Index tool:
Some webinars contain breaks/intermission. To navigate between modules, click on the "Select an Index" pull-down under the "Choose Media" and "Help" buttons. Select Part 1 or Part 2 of the module you want to view.
- MODULE 1: Introduction and Navigating the Single Family Handbook: Origination/Processing and Allowable Mortgage Parameters (Recorded on 5/12/16): This module begins by providing introductory and background information on the structure of the SF Handbook. The remainder of the module is divided into two sections: Origination/Processing and Allowable Mortgage Parameters. These sections provide the basic documentation, processing, and underwriting standards for FHA single family (1 to 4 units) mortgages being insured under the National Housing Act. Webinar Module Duration: 52 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 2: Appraisals, Property Requirements, and Underwriting the Property (Recorded on 5/17/16): This module provides a review of the Property Acceptability Criteria for FHA mortgage insurance, including FHA’s Minimum Property Requirements (MPR) and Minimum Property Standards (MPS). The module contains a detailed review of the policies contained in the Origination through Endorsement’s Underwriting the Property section. Webinar Module Duration: 96 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 3: Underwriting the Borrower Using the TOTAL Mortgage Scorecard (Recorded on 6/21/16): This module provides a review of policies for underwriting the borrower using FHA’s Technology Open to Approved Lenders (TOTAL) Mortgage Scorecard evaluation. It also includes a discussion on: accept risk classifications requiring a downgrade to manual underwriting; evaluating credit history, liabilities,- and debts; income and assets requirements; and making the final underwriting decision. Webinar Module Duration: 145 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 4: Manual Underwriting of the Borrower (Recorded on 6/27/16): This module provides a review of FHA’s policies to effectively conduct a Manual Underwrite evaluation. In addition to the standard income and assets requirements, this module also covers types of credit history and additional credit requirements associated with manual underwriting. Webinar Module Duration: 153 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 5: Closing, Post-Closing, and Endorsement (Recorded on 6/7/16): This module provides a review of policies to effectively prepare for closing and disbursement on a FHA-insured mortgage. It also covers the Post-Endorsement Review; case binder documentation requirements; and the FHA insurance endorsement. Webinar Module Duration: 69 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 6: Programs and Products – Refinance (Recorded on 6/14/16): This module provides a review of the different types of FHA refinance products and outlines the eligibility requirements for each refinance program. Webinar Module Duration: 60 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 7: Programs and Products - 203(k) Rehabilitation Program and Consultant Requirements (Recorded on 6/9/16): This module provides a review of all aspects of FHA’s Section 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance Program, the Agency's primary program for the rehabilitation and repair of single family properties. This module also covers the FHA 203(k) Consultant Roster requirements and responsibilities. Webinar Module Duration: 117 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 8: Programs and Products – All Other Programs (Recorded on 6/22/16): This module provides a policy overview of specialized FHA programs including Energy Efficient Mortgage; 203(h) Mortgage for Disaster Victims; Adjustable Rate Mortgages; New Construction; Construction-to-Permanent; Assumptions; Weatherization; HUD Real Estate Owned Purchasing and more. Webinar Module Duration: 151 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.
- MODULE 9: Nonprofit Approval and Governmental Entities (Recorded on 9/21/16): This module provides an overview of the: three types of single family housing programs available to Nonprofit organizations and Government Entities; Nonprofit Approval, Recertification and Post-Approval requirements; and Quality Control of HUD-approved Nonprofit organizations and Monitoring Requirements of approved HUD-approved Nonprofit organizations and Government Entities. Webinar Module Duration: 71 minutes. Module Materials. Access Module.