HUD Logo
Site Map         A-Z Index         Text   A   A   A
HUD   >   Program Offices   >   Public and Indian Housing   >   PIH   >   Public Housing   >   Asset Management   >   PHA Insurance Requirements
PHA Insurance Requirements

The Annual Contribution Contract (ACC) requires Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) and Indian Housing Agencies (IHAs) to maintain adequate loss prevention programs.

HUD’s regulations at 24 CFR 965 govern public housing insurance requirements.

Among the insuring options available to PHAs are risk retention groups called State Insurance Risk Pools (SIRPs). SIRPs provide alternatives to PHAs for securing required insurance, other than on the open market by offering products that are tailored to public housing and rates that are competitive.

Any PHA can utilize the SIRP(s) in its State to provide the required property and liability insurance coverage.

Submissions of proposals to start SIRPSs and annual financial statements, actuarial and management reviews for existing SIRPs should be sent to:

State Insurance Risk Pool Coordinator
U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
Office of Public & Indian Housing
Financial Management Division / Operating Fund
550 12th Street, SW, Suite 100
Washington, DC 20020

Currently, the Department is updating the Property/Casualty Insurance Guidebook, HUD 7401.5. Through this website, we will keep PHAs posted about the progress in updating this guidebook, and other related information. For a list of SIRPs, please click the link below.

Want More Information?

Browse through questions and answers on our frequently asked questions (FAQs) page and learn more about property/casualty insurance for housing authorities!

 - Go to the FAQ